Permanent laser hair removal is the most efficient way to get rid of unwanted hair, both for aesthetic and medical purposes (treatment of ingrown hairs).
The influence of skin and hair colour
Laser hair removal works best on light skin with dark hair. Hair with little or no melanin (white, red and blond downy hair) is not suitable for laser treatment.
Number of sessions
The number of sessions required depends on various factors, such as the specific skin type and hair colour of each person. However, gender, age and the area to be treated are also decisive factors. Some hormonal disturbances can also have an impact.
On average, the life cycle of hair is 4 to 18 months. It is estimated that about 15 to 20% of the hair is destroyed during each session.
It is important to wait until a new generation of hair appears before planning your next session. This depends on the area that is treated, your skin type and your type of hair.
On average, you can expect a period of 6 to 8 weeks between each session.
We have made a list of the most important recommendations that are useful for you to know before starting a laser treatment:
• Exposure to the sun should be avoided at all costs for 4 weeks before the treatment. The sun activates the melanin in the skin which is targeted by the laser, and this can therefore cause burn marks.
• For the same reasons, it is necessary to stop self-tanning one week before a session and to thoroughly exfoliate the skin.
• Also, for one month before the treatment, avoid hair removal methods that affect the hair root, such as waxing, tweezers, depilatory cream, sugar wax, etc. However, it is advisable to shave 2 to 3 days before the treatment, except when the treatment area is the face. Shaving will make the hairs finer and thus better targets for the laser.
• The hair must be short (maximum 1 mm) because it serves as the laser conductor.
• Be sure to inform your laser consultant of any medication you are taking. In the case of photosensitising medication, the laser must be adjusted differently.
• It is important not to wear any new unwashed clothing for a week before the treatment, as it can leave small pigments on the skin to which the laser will respond.
• The skin should be dry and free of cosmetics. The use of a numbing cream (such as Emla) can prevent a successful result. The patient’s sensation is used as a barometer to determine the optimal energy of the laser and thus avoid burn marks.
• Tattooed skin is not a contraindication for laser hair removal. We simply take special precautions (application of a plaster over the tattoo) to avoid burn marks.
Visit our website to discover a lot more tips and advice.
Do you have any further questions? You will find many answers on our website.
Discover the full price list per area and our package deals here.
Convinced? Book your appointment via our website or by phone on +32 2 280 33 33.
It’s quick and easy!
Epilia, for a carefree hair-free life!